As the holiday season begins it can bring with it additional stress. Our desire to make everything perfect, to do it all, to be it all. The pressures of fitting so many extra events into our schedules, the gift shopping, the baking and decorating. All of this building up to the actual holiday can leave us feeling exhausted before the holiday actually begins. All this stress takes the joy out of our holidays and even increase our risk of illness.
It is possible to leave all that stress behind and have a happy holiday with your friends and family. Here are some tips to help:
- Skip the adage to shop till you drop! Make it fun, shop with friends, stop for lunch and keep it simple.
- Say no so you can say yes! Pick the events you really want to go to and enjoy them.
- Enjoy it together! Holidays are to be with your loved ones, bake cookies together, sing together while you decorate.
- Choose the customs that add a little spice! Keep the fun, skip the work.
- Pare down your expectations! Focus on what matters so you can enjoy the fruits of your labors.
- Forget perfection! Life is meant to be fun and messy, leave the perfection behind and enjoy.
- Give gifts money can’t buy! Give from your heart and remember the gift of time.
- Know your stress points and live for the moment! Leave the past where it is, and enjoy the possibilities of what is happening now.
- Take time for you! Enjoy some silent nights.
- Do less, enjoy more!